Thursday 4 June 2009

more novelties

Om Tuesday I visited the local garden open to visitors (stately home). By the lake common sedge (Carex nigra) is growing. Several grassy parts of the garden have heath bedstraw (Galium saxatile). There are several plants of field forget-me-not (Myosotis arvensis) in the walled garden.

I came back along the further canal towpath, where I encountered a plant of marsh ragwort (Senecio palustris).

On Wednesday evening I had a look at a public open space lying between the river and the canal. Along the canal towpath on the way there I found yellow rattle (Rhinanthus minor) growing. A Spanish bluebell (Hyacinthoides hispanica) is growing in wet ground near the river. A sulphur cinquefoil (Potentilla recta) is present at the far end of the area. Other plants present include 3 types of willow (Salix spp.), a clump of black poplars (Populus sp.), regenerating sweet chestnuts (Castanea sativa) and blackthorn (Prunus spinosa), and several other plants new to the parish.

Yellow cordydalis (Corydalis lutea) is naturalised in a wall in the village on the other bank of the canal.

No comments: