Thursday 15 May 2008

Veronica hederifolia

I walked over to the local stately home to have a wander round their gardens this afternoon. Much of the route is outside the Florula Prima area (so, for example, a record of Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris) doesn't qualify), but on the way back I encountered ivy-leaved speedwell (Veronica hederifolia) growing in the cracks of a roadside wall.

This is distinguishable from other native species by the lobed, alternate leaves, and by bearing small flowers solitarily in the leaf axils on pedicels about the length of the petiole and blade combined. The other alternate-leaved species are slender speedwell and field speedwells. The field speedwells have toothed, not lobed leaves, and large flowers (for a speedwell). The slender speedwell has crenate leaves, and moderate sized flowers borne on long pedicels.

I suspect that this is a common plant in the area, but I haven't yet trained myself to recognise speedwell species in passing.

No comments: