Tuesday 17 June 2008

meadow plants

I had a look at the meadows to the south and to the north west (landfill site) of town today, taking more photographs of marsh/spotted orchids in the hope of identifying them.

While doing so I encountered tufted forget-me-not (Myosotis laxa) growing in some otherwise bare ground which is probably flooded in winter. This has a fairly distinctive habit, but identifying this doesn't really help me with all the other forget-me-nots in the vicinity. Marsh thistle (Cirsium palustre) is also present in the meadowlands south of the town.

The third type of speedwell present on the landfill site turns out to be germander speedwell (Veronica chamaedrys). A crucifer which may be water cress is present on the margin of the lake. A tare is present, which is not the usual hairy tare, but I am uncertain whether it is smooth tare (Vicia tetrasperma) or slender tare (Vicia parviflora). Self-heal (Prunella vulgaris) is present.

I encountered a fumitory (Fumaria) species on the return journey.

No comments: