Sunday 8 June 2008

more catchup

More plants that I've noted, but not written up so far.

reflexed stonecrop (Sedum rupestre): this is established in my garden, but I'm not sure that it didn't originate as a rockery plant introduced by the previous owners. However I've also seen it at the foot of a hedge alongside the road that forms the eastern boundary of the town.

ivy-leaved toadflax (Cymbalaria muralis): this is established in my garden, but I haven't been counting it as I know that it was introduced as a cultivated plant by the previous owners. However I've seen it recently growing as a weed in a garden on the way into town. (I found it quite common on and at the foot of walls in a town in Scotland.)

docks (Rumex sp): docks are difficult to distinguish. However the more divergent species can be recognised, including sorrel (Rumex acetosa), sheep's sorrel (Rumex acetosella) (not seen in Florula Prima area), water dock (Rumex lapathifolium) (found occasionally on canal banks), and the extreme forms of broad-leaved dock (Rumex obtusifolius) and curled dock (Rumex crispus).

mullein (Verbascum sp.): I've seen one plant, most likely Verbascum thapsus, but I have to wait for it to flower to confirm this.

No comments: